From the Editors Desk: Looking Back While Looking Forward

Technically Bla1ze is still the editor around here, but during our 10 Years of CrackBerry celebration I’m hijacking this column. Bla1ze is always number one (hell, he has a number 1 in his name), but this is still worth reading!

Technically Bla1ze is still the editor around here, but during our 10 Years of CrackBerry celebration I'm hijacking the column

CBK 2.0

In case you haven't noticed, I'm having a blast "bringing CBK out of retirement" to celebrate 10 Years of CrackBerry this month. Being a little older and wiser, I think CBK 2.0 may prove to be better at the role than his predecessor. We'll have to take a poll at the end of this month and see how I measure up.

The warm reception to the return of CrackBerry Kevin by sooooo many people has had me feeling gushy all week. I feel blessed and honored to be embraced by such a passionate community. Ten years has done nothing to tame down the CB community. It's as crazy (in a good way) around here as EVER. Everybody visiting CrackBerry does so with passion and strong opinions. We don't always agree on everything of course -- and that's OK -- as long as we respect each other. Passion and Respect are everything.

This week was a slightly chaotic one for me as I was traveling the past ten days and working remotely from hotel rooms. In between meetings and appointments, I spent my free time reading back through old CrackBerry articles, swiping through old photos and watching some vintage CBK videos. There's a lot of nostalgia in it all for me, as I'm sure there is for so many of you who have been around here since our early days.

BlackBerry 4.0

The new excitement around CrackBerry is clearly the upcoming launch of the BlackBerry 'Mercury'. Somehow it seems fitting to spend a lot of time looking back this month at the CrackBerry/BlackBerry days of old while at the same time we start looking forward to the next era of BlackBerry.

I feel like we're entering the fourth era of BlackBerry (I think of the early days of Research in Motion as prototyping/version 0.x). BlackBerry 1.0 was the Mike Lazaridis/Jim Balsillie BlackBerry OS/PlayBook era. BlackBerry 2.0 was the Thorsten Heins launch of BlackBerry 10 era (I loved this era a lot!). BlackBerry 3.0 was the John Chen figuring it out/transition era. And now we are entering BlackBerry 4.0, where BlackBerry is a software company, but we still have an exciting BlackBerry Smartphone hardware future confirmed and ahead of us thanks to BlackBerry Mobile.

Read More »


Read more>> Source Link http://ift.tt/2keO133 via CrackBerry.com - The #1 Site for BlackBerry Users (and Abusers!)

0 default, disqus:

Post a Comment